Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Narnia's Aslan VS the ING Lion


Finally watched something last week and it happened to be CS Lewis' masterpiece about a Caucasian Wiccan who lives togather with a lion in a kitchen cabinet or something like that :P
Just kidding of course.

I read Narnia quite early in life and the sense of emotions I felt reading the book was not quite what I got from the movies.Will give you some examples(Warning: Major spoilers ahead, but you know you want to read it)

First of all Aslan was a bit too insurance-ish for me la.The guy looks just like the ING Lion!!! Especially the part he appears the first time I swear I could hear my mind saying.. "ING...your choice for solid financial assurance"

Then the Bomoh Putih... looks like The Ice Dude (Arnold Swatch-Nigger in Batman) chick.The tombak salji she carries around doesn't really help make more 'coldly beautiful'- the image i got when I read Narnia.

The part where a certain main character dies(and like all good movies, gets resurrected) , was supposed to make me feel like I was watching Passion of the Christ but I really felt like laughing coz it looked like a cross (pun intended) between an advertistment Gillette would show to advertise their new 'Singa Triple Blade Action' razor , a SPCA Animal Cruelty awareness campaign video and a scene in a cheap horror flick where the designated foolish person tries to summon a demon using a blood sacrifice (you know, hte ones where the summoner usually die in the process)

For those who would like the EJ Shortened Version of Narnia(either for comedy purposes, to waste a few minutes of idling in the office/college or to get a rough idea what Narnia is all about) it goes like this

This town gets whacked with artillery and this bunch of misfit kids gets bundled away to live with a JRR Tolkein wannabe while the Germans rain bombs on their town in a perfectly good train unharmed by the war ; that looks just like the ones in Harry Potter or The Polar Express

So anyway they play hide and seek, and fall into a cupboard in which lives an amazing spread of fauna(including a Faun itself) and flora. Then Santa Claus comes along and gives these kids some amazing weapons including Anduril (Aragorn's sword) and Legolas's Bow which got lost in Morgoth and was recovered in Narnia.Then one of the kids steals the One Ring from a wandering peddler who sells "Cincin Suasa" and becomes evil.He then sells his siblings off for some chocolates made in Afghanistan or something. Then he turns into a rhino and storms the bad guys. Joining the battle is Lion King's gang of wild animals including jaguars, wild boars and so on.

Eventually the Lion roars and announces that he is in insurance and suddenly both his friends and foe flee at the sight of him and only the kids remain, coz they are not sure what insurance is, and so he crowns all of them members of the Million Dollar Round Table and they all lived happily ever after.

What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Howsy said...

I tot all the lions look the same-be it the ING one or the Narnia one? Nevertheless, it seems like a big advertising movie to me-be it for ING or Great Eastern's one. Those insurance agents would be too fast to treat you for that movie and ask you to buy policies from them later...

8:46 PM  
Blogger scorkes said...

I guess since it's Disney and since Aslan is supposed to be one of the good guys, they have refrained from making look too scary.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Emmanuel said...

Howsy-
haha- yeah I forgot tha Great Eastern also uses a lion logo.And so happens I almost went with an insurance agent.A general agent tho..

Scorkes- My point exactly :)They made him...insurance-ish

5:24 AM  
Blogger L. Halim said...

Huhu.. thanks for the review dude.. I'm planning to watch it this weekend.. hope that the lion doesnt remind me of my childhood favourite toothpaste - kodomo lion the way it reminded u to ING!

2:18 PM  
Blogger pelf said...

Wei, I got a shock when I saw your post, with the picture of the lion staring back at me! *phew*

6:35 PM  
Blogger Emmanuel said...

Butterfyln- hehe hope you enjoy de movie much more than me :)

pelf- wa lau - its a disney lion wei supposed to be cute.soon McDs should come out with a stuff toy version for girls to cuddle, smell and bite. :P

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home