Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Primary School Nostalgia

I'm feeling old today.Ancient.And the white hair poking out of prematuredly matured follicles do not help one bit.

The whole purpose of this post was on Sunday, after church I somehow got stuck on this programme called 'Dumex Science Challenge' or something to that amount. Before you go on nagging about my funny taste in kid's infotainment programmes, kindly be informed that I was going to watch XMen before those el cheapos at The TV3 Carnival Bunnies decided to shortchange advertizers.

Anyway- the questions they were asking were maut questions- stuff about electromagnets, catalysts,the Earth's prehistoric magnetic fields and Brownian movements.Stuff we, the old gobloks learnt in Forms 4 and 5.Asking these questions to a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds.And on the other spectrum you have the less intellectually inclined kids(read as: confirmed failures) whose sole purpose in life is to make the publishers of 'Pendekar Awan', 'Pendekar Kampung' and 'Pendekar Silat Angsa Kentut' richer.



Now this got me thinking about my primary school days.

We never bothered about
-whether Slipknot was featured on MTV tonight or not
-if terrorists were going to hijack golf buggies and hold caddies hostage.
-what was a tsunami
-will Ichiko/Kenshin/Naruto defeat the Undefeatable Enemy this week, or will the makers prolong that fight scene for another year
-If a cute singer you saw on your hari sukan was in fact a boy.

I remember when our primary concerns were
-If our Maths exercise book could handle more thinning due to our constant tearing out the front page to make 'guns/sampan/topi/...' and other neccesary 'accesories' for our kejar kejar, police-and-thieves or longkang version of cowboys and indians.
-If Nano Nano or Mamee ever ran out at the grocery shop
-What colour bubble gum to blow today
-If the canteen auntie ran out of the 20 sen ice cream
-Will I manage to collect 10 ringgit for Jogathon this year

Luxury for us then was
-Affording a 50 sen cone ice cream with three scoops rather than a 20 sen cone with one scoop
-Nasi Lemak with Telur Goreng
-Cheap 14 bucks Boy London watch
-Cheap fake Crocodile wallet, you know the type with a cardboard American Express Credit card tucked inside.

Damn, I feel like an abused , malnourished, underprivilaged child.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fullamak the good ol memories of colorful ice-cream in a plastic pack.

Lets face it, this days they're more concerned on whether their parents have updated their hp credit, latest games release + all kinds of snacks which we'll hardly touch due to the gila pricing.

7:42 AM  
Blogger iesnek said...

Used to be that 10 bucks could last a week during school days... Now i'm lucky if 50 bucks lasts me a day.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Emmanuel said...

hehe- yea.Snacks from Europe.
And Julianzz-Thats coz we're alcaholics ;P

5:23 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for posting on my blog. To answer your question, there is no cure for migraines, but ther are expensive medications to help manage the pain for most, but not all, migraneurs. I like your blog & added it to my faves list. It's interesting to read your different slang. Very fun!

9:51 AM  
Blogger iesnek said...

Alcoholics go to meetings!!

I just socialize :(

1:25 PM  
Blogger L. Halim said...

That's interesting!
when I was in primary school:

I never bothered
- Whether my shoes match my outfit

My primary concern was
- The shoe I wore to school everyday's white and clean.

Luxury for me then was
- having a cinderella sandal that seen absolutely everywhere

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, your blog inspires many people around here with the funny humours and sarcastical comments aimed at different parties. Certainly your blog made my day man.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Emmanuel said...

jessica-thanks for adding me~!

Julianzz-We are Chindians rite...so by definition we are social alcaholics.

Butterflynn-I wish I'd known you if you'd been in primary school in a Cinderella outfit.Then we wouldn;t have to crossdress during "Hari Ibu Bapa"

Demonic Angel-Thanks~

9:39 AM  
Blogger Emmanuel said...

LMAO- Man Nawruz, you are lucky SPCA didn't harass you back.How's life at the (H)appening (P)lace

7:21 PM  
Blogger iesnek said...

Damn, you got me there.

Oh well, anything social is positive.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Emmanuel said...

Julianzz-yeap...the positivity of meeting women supercedes possibility of liver failure or drunken stupors in which we harass pondans instead.

5:48 AM  
Blogger iesnek said...

I Fear Beer Goggles!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Emmanuel said...

julianzz-wtf is a beer goggle?

5:55 AM  
Blogger iesnek said...

Beer goggles occurs when you get tipsy or drunk. Alcohol covers your eyes with a pair of invisible goggles which distorts the image of any women around you.

Ever seen Missy elliot's video? The one the guy looks through a whisky glass and she looks like Halle Berry through it.
:P

8:45 AM  
Blogger Emmanuel said...

LMAO.....ok....
I used to refer to it as Vodka Vision,or Channel Chardonnay but beer goggles works fine!

7:46 PM  
Blogger John Lee said...

Sigh...I remember my primary school days. They seem like such a long time ago, even though I'm only a secondary school student. I know I never worried about the stuff EJ mentioned. In standard six, I was more concerned about playing football with a crushed tin can, or having enough money to buy jambu batu with asam from the mak cik at the kampung nearby. I miss those simpler days. :(

If anyone else is interested in reminiscing about your school days, I'm writing a book about school entitled Why Your Kid Hates School. So, if you had a tyrannical teacher you want to have embarassed in print, or just have a particularly harsh memory of school, why not contribute to it? If you need some inspiration, that link has a 15-page excerpt from the book... ;-)

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home