Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Japanese Anime Culture Shock


No, this is not a post about the dangers of anime or 'pengaruh budaya kuning' or anything like that.Its just the culture shock I recieved from watching the much hyped about Naruto at a friends place(about 10 episodes back to back from episode 70-something)

Now a little background on myself.I've beens colded for not fasting, insulted in a multitude of languages that I understand perfect well because I have a funny 'kulitification' i.e I look Malay even though I am not.So seriously, that doubled up being a confused kid brought up by multicolor parents, entering a mostly Indian kindergarten, going to a predominantly Malay primary school and a predominantly Chinese secondary...I would pretty much like to think that I am incapable of being culture shocked (even though I did quite a go when I was exposed to smelly cheese in UK, and wondered what the hell is the white man's problem with durians thereafter)

But nothing would mentally prepare me for the shock I got from watching Naruto which totally destroyed my opinion that Japanese cartoons were all about cute monsters with kick-ass powers or legendary samurai with a useless sidekick to further highlight his skill(and the sidekicks' uselessness)....

-Scene opens in a friendly ninja school where all kids are doing some form of tests .....then I realize these are kids killing and maiming each other.Now imagine if this were a Taewkondo grading session...
-Ninjas travelling at light-speed
-Talking dogs that can fly
-Talking dogs that use shampoo
-Ninjas that can fly
-Cute Hello Kitty masked like creatures that are actually the Ninja Secret Police,apparently
-Using kungfu within a ball of sand
-Crazy dude who calls sandball 'mom'
-A 'hidden' village complete with high tec 'sekolah pintar' school and a huge stadium and reinforced walls like Alcatraz
-Ninjas summon dogs,toads,monkey,snakes into battle like a huge, not-so cute version of Pokemon
-Creepy gender bending dude who looks like a cross between V and Edward Scissorhands who says 'Sarutobi Sensei...' in the most annoying possible way
-The chief ninjas apparently dress up like pesawah padi.
-Tsunamis are caused by demons.

This is great.Now I am hooked to a cartoon I see little sense in.

4 Comments:

Blogger Edmund Yeo said...

Naruto suffers from DBZ-itis, where battles would run for 4-5 episodes before it ends. I would rather follow the manga (comics).

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, well. Looks like Narupo, err, Naruto has hooked himself another follower - Emman. (This is a huge Getz for Anime.) Allright, now try watchin Hellsing + reading its manga. The anime u can download via bittorent or irc. Manga u can get at Directmanga.com. U'll love the pointy hatted crusaders and that 1 psychotic priest. I can assure u.

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Emman kindly stick with wat u watch best. The one which stimulate ur deepest desires..

7:26 PM  
Blogger Emmanuel said...

I cannot even follow Naruto effectively and you guys asking me to follow animes that sound like detergent and fertilizer !!! You guys are bad, bad people.

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home